While the summer is winding down, there are still many cookouts ahead. If you’re anything like me then the cookouts only end when you have to wear a full on winter coat the whole time. Since we don’t have much of a cookout backyard yet when it comes time to bring something it has to be easy to transport.
There are a handful of recipes that I cycle through, but this one is one of my favorites. My mom would make it for any and all neighborhood events and they were always the biggest hit.
Jalapeño Poppers aka Snake Bites
- 7-10 jalapeños
- 1 8oz jalapeño cream cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp. Garlic onion jam
- 1 package of bacon
- Cut the jalapeños in to fourths and get rid of the seeds.
- Mix the cream cheese, jam, and cheddar cheese all together.
- Cut a slice of bacon in half the long way. It should be the same length but thin. Repeat for all the bacon slices.
- Take some of the cream cheese mix and stuff a jalapeño slice.
- Wrap the slice in bacon so all the cream cheese mixture is covered. The tighter you wrap the bacon the less cheese you lose when cooking.
- Use a toothpick to secure.
- Cook on grill on a greased piece of tinfoil, or in the oven at 350 degrees also on greased tinfoil or parchment paper, until the bacon is cooked. If you use the oven put them in while it heats up. Either way you cook them make sure to flip them half way through.
The best way I’ve found to bring these is to wrap them then cook them at the cookout. I like to make them the night before so the cream cheese can set after being handled so much.
Let me know if you give them a try!